Thursday, February 18, 2016

Cardigan-fest! Swoon and Nina

I love my Swoon (free pattern) merino wool cardigan. It is big enough to go on over jumpers and small enough to go under a trench coat for extra warmth. Exactly what I'll be needing for London winters (or summers even)! I find this a really simple pattern to make. For some reason I didn't use the overlocker on the seams but doubt it will fray.

The only problem I find is the hem. I just rolled it over twice and sewed - but there must be ways of making those points a bit less bulky. I read about mitred corners and tried it - but the angles are not 90 degrees so were not quite as successful as my practice ones. Nevertheless I am pleased with my second swoon cardigan. My first was a trial one and was worn nearly every day in the winter. It is now worn out because the fabric is pilling and it really looks as though it's had its day!


Swoon cardigan in grey merino (from the Drapery) over Tessuti Eva in Liberty

 However, as much as I love the Swoon cardigan I wanted to try Style Arc Nina cardigan. It looked just a little bit more stylish.

I have some lovely merino from The Fabric Store in a powder blue and  black. However a type of soft viscose ponte (I do believe it is clay pot mix from Tessuti) was crying out to be a light summery/autumn kind of Nina. I didn't think I'd have a problem with the size. Style Arc tend to fit me around the shoulders at a 16 and sometimes I make hips wider in tops. I left this one alone as it is a waterfall style cardigan and I thought it would have lots of room.

I looked and looked at some blogs of Nina cardigans and not one person said it was complicated to sew. However I was looking at the pictures of the pattern and could make little sense of it. I followed each instruction in order - pinning first to check, then sewing (no overlocking in this one just in case I had it all horribly wrong). And surprise, surprise - it went together beautifully. Style Arc patterns are wonderfully drafted and so long as all the right notches match up you can't go wrong! Well, in this case anyway! Mind you I have only dabbled in the easier patterns - don't give me zips, linings or buttonholes yet or my sewing world will be turned upside down!



Nina cardi over Tessuti Pia in pink linen from a very unflattering angle!

Pattern: Style Arc Nina Cardi - PDF from Etsy shop (14, 16, 18 not nested). I used the 16.
Fabric: 2 metres of Tessuti Viscose jersey - Clay pot mix (still available at time of writing). A beautifully soft material - feels lovely to wear.

Best features of pattern: Easy to put together (don't be put off by the pictures - just follow the instructions)

What I didn't like: Wasn't quite sure how to go about hemming (not into rolled hems yet), so instead of leaving it completely raw-edged I zig-zagged around the outside edge. And I'm very happy with the way it turned out. It's not a fabric that will fray so it should be okay - must learn the rolled hem!

Photos: Forgive the angle - all my photos are taken with my phone - 10 sec delay propped up against various things - drinking glasses to name one of them. The angles are a bit weird but i hope the photos are enough to give the right idea.



I will definitely try one of these in my black merino - or even the powder blue. It's quite light and would be useful for most of the year - just not those summer months in Adelaide! And I'll probably be brave enough to overlock the next one!

I am working hard to replace all the cardigans I keep leaving behind in hire cars and on aeroplanes. I must be more careful on my next trips!

What is your favourite cardigan pattern? There are just too many to choose from!

No comments:

Post a Comment